Are you planning to sell your home in the next few months? If so, there may be a short list of home projects you need to tackle before letting your real estate agent begin showing it to prospective buyers. While you may not be able to do a total renovation before you list your home, here are 5 practical projects you can and should tackle before listing your home.
In her post, on RedFin.com, Ashley Carter shares “5 Home Projects You Should Tackle Before You List Your House.” I want to share those with you here, as well as give you some practical steps to implement them.
- Paint for natural ambiance
- When showing your home to a potential buyer, it’s important that they can see how they would make the space their own. Avoid super trendy or overpowering paint colors that can be a turn off if they don’t match with a buyer’s personal taste.
- Check out ElleDecor.com for color palettes that prove neutral doesn’t mean boring.
- Upgrade for energy efficiency
- It’s easy to think that switching out lightbulbs in your home to more eco-friendly ones is enough to cut down on your utilities, but there’s more to it than that.
- Smart Home dives a little deeper with some easy switches you can make to cut down on your power bill and make your home more desirable to potential buyers.
- Clean up for spacious impressions
- De-cluttering your home not only helps create a spacious impression for anyone viewing it with the idea of making an offer. Cleaning out the clutter will also help when packing to move once your house has sold.
- You don’t have to tackle the space all at once. Use these 18, 5-minute de-cluttering tips from Zen Habits to start making a big difference in small ways.
- Landscape carefully for curb appeal
- Before someone ever steps inside your home for a viewing, they’ll more than likely drive by to make an initial interest decision. Things like a neat and simply landscaped flower bed and mailbox can help make a strong first impression.
- Learn about low maintenance plants for landscaping from DIY Network.
- Polish up the bathroom for a like-new look
- Your bathroom could help sell your home by being clean. It is a room everyone in the family will use, so making a good first impression here is important.
- Sometimes a fresh round of caulk and de-griming the fixtures is all it can take! Learn how to clean and stage your bathroom to sell here.
Still have questions about how to get started with preparing to list your home? Let me help. I can take the guess work out of easy updates to get you the best return on your home. Call me today (205-310-0448) or drop me a note in the form to the right and let’s get to work!